Wolford Descendants-Past to the Present
We are the
descendants of Johann Martin Wolfarth. You will see the name
change from Wolfarth to Wolford. This is the line that Mable
Harriet Wolford, mother of Louise, Noble and Billy Don Reid,
comes from. The photo at right shows our ggrandparents, our
grandparents, and our mother as a four year old in the white
dress standing next to her father. Any and all who connects to
the three of us, connects back to Generation 1 on our maternal
side. With the marriage of Maj. John Wolford to his first wife,
Mary Jane Lapsley, it takes us on back to the late 1500's. You
will see a lot of first names of John in the first lists of
generations. It seems that it was common practice to name at
least one boy after the father or grandfather. There are gaps in
information that we hope to fill in the future.
Generation No. 1
MARTHIN WOLFARTH/MARTIN WOLFORD, was born in
January of 1730, died December 09, 1780 in Shepherdstown,
Jefferson County, West Virginia, Married ELEANOR
"LENNY" about 1769. Eleanor was born April 10, 1752,
died September 13, 1822 in Shepherdstown, Jefferson County West
Virginia. Note: Shepherdstown is in the very northeastern corner
of what is now West Viginia. After the death of Johann in 1780,
Eleanor married GEORGE REYNOLDS in1782. George is said to have
drowned in Jefferson County while trying to save another person
in 1818. I will list what I have on the children born to Eleanor
and George... The Wolfords and Reynolds lived in the same area at
the same time and probably were close friends. They have
headstones in the same cemetery. Note: Elender Reynolds born on
April 10, 1752 is buried in the same row as Rezin Reynolds, and
Jacob Wolford. The photo shows Johann's headstone at the Reformed
Graveyard at Shepherdstown, Jefferson County, West
Children of JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD and ELEANOR "LENNY"
i.....ELIZABETH WOLFORD, b. about January 01, 1771.
ii....JACOB WOLFORD, b. February 15, 1772.
ii....Maj. JOHN WOLFORD b. December 22, 1774.
of ELEANOR "LENNY" and GEORGE REYNOLDS are:
i.....GEORGE REYNOLDS Jr. born in 1784. Married Catherine Line.
ii....PETER REYNOLDS, born in1785.
iii...REASON (REZIN) REYNOLDS, born 1786.
iv...CATHERINE REYNOLDS, born in 1789.
v....JOHN REYNOLDS, born in 1799.
Generation No. 2
2. ELIZABETH WOLFORD ( JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD), was born about January 01, 1771 in Albermarle County, Virginia, and died on March 25, 1861, burial in German Reformed Cemetery at Jefferson, West Virginia. She married (1) ELY BURNS on November 01, 1789, and (2) VANDIVER BANKS on March 13, 1792.
2. JACOB WOLFORD (JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD), was born on February 15, 1772 in West Virginia, died on August 09, 1852 in Shepherdstown, Jefferson County, West Virginia. Jacob never married, and after his death, is buried in the German Reformed Cemetery at Jefferson, West Virginia.
JOHN WOLFORD (JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD),
born on December 22, 1774 in West Virginia, died July 26, 1848 in
Liberty, Casey County, Kentucky. Married (1) MARY JANE (JENNY)
LAPSLEY on November 04/08, 1798 in Lancaster, Garrard County, KY.
Jenny was born December 15, 1777 in Albermarle County, Virginia,
died on January 30, 1816. Jenny was the daughter of JAMES LAPSLEY
Sr. and MARY HAY'S. Below will be the linage of our long ago
grandmother. It goes back to the Ireland and the 1500's. Almost a
year after Jenny's death, he married (2) MAHALA LANE on December
15, 1816 in Adair County, Kentucky. Maj. John Wolford fathered 18
children between both of his wifes. One of his sons, Franklin
Lane Wolford, becomes famous, and is written about through out
history as a Civil War hero and a great lawyer of his time.
Children of Maj. JOHN WOLFORD and JENNY LAPSLEY are:
i.....ELEANOR (ELLENDER) WOLFORD. born on October 23, 1799.
ii....JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, born March 07, 1802.
iii...JACOB WOLFORD, born on April 10, 1803.
iv...JAMES LAPSLEY WOLFORD, born on January 12, 1809.
v....ELIZA JANE WOLFORD, born on January 25, 1812.
vi...EMILY THOMAS WOLFORD, born on March 10, 1814.
vii..WILLIAM A. WOLFORD, no birthdate found. Married CAROLINE LAPSLEY 10/15/1840, in Missouri.
viii.SILAS WOLFORD, true birthdate not found. Died of consumption early in life.
ix...POLLY A. WOLFORD, true birthdate not found. Married EVAN MOORE 10/02/1828, in Kentucky.
of Maj. JOHN WOLFORD AND MAHALA LANE are:
i.....Col. FRANKLIN LANE WOLFORD, born on September 02, 1817.
ii....ALBERT ALEXANDER WOLFORD, born on April 22, 1823.
iii...GEORGE YANTIS WOLFORD, born on October 13, 1830.
iv...ELIZABETH A. (BETSY) WOLFORD, true birthdate not known.
v....CYRUS WOLFORD, true birthdate not known.
vi...WILLIAM WOLFORD, true birthdate not known.
vii..RACHAEL C. (KATE) WOLFORD, true birthdate not known. Had a son named JOHN D. PAGE.
viii.SARAH J. WOLFORD, supposedly born in 1836.
ix...FRANCIS MARION WOLFORD, born on October 13, 1838.
JANE (JENNY) LAPSLEY ( JAMES LAPSLEY Sr.,
JOSEPH LAPSLEY Sr., SAMUEL LAPSLEY) was
born on December 15, 1777, in Albermarle County, Virginia, died
on January 30, 1816. Jenny was born to JAMES LAPSLEY Sr., and
MARY HAY'S. James was born on May 20, 1744 in Lexington,
Rockbridge County, Virginia, and died on July 11, 1827 in
Russell, Kentucky. Going back in time, James was born to JOSEPH
LAPSLEY Sr., and SARAH WOODS. Joseph was born abt. 1722 in
Albermarle, Virginia, and died abt. 1792 in Rockbridge Co.
Virgina. Joseph married Sarah in 1741 in Virginia. Sarah was born
abt. 1724 at Dunshanglin Castle, Meath, Ireland, and died at
Greenbriar, Virginia in 1792 around the same time as her husband.
Sarah's father was MICHAEL WOODS who also was born at Dunshanglin
Castle abt. 1683/84, and marries MARGARET CAMPBELL. Margaret is
born on June 02, 1690 in Edinburgh, Argyllshire, Scotland, and
also dies in Mt Plains in 1742. Margaret was the daughter of
JAMES and SUSAN CAMPBELL. It looks like Michael is the one who
migrates to America with his family, because he dies later on in
1762 at Mt Plains, Blair Park, Albermarle, Virginia. We can go
farther on back to Joseph's father and mother. His father was
SAMUEL LAPSLEY born about 1704 and his mother was MARGARET
IRVINE. On the paternal side is MICHAEL WOOD' S father, JOHN
WOODS II born in 1654 at Meath, Ireland and died March 09, 1723
at Rosemead, Meath, Ireland. His mothers name was ELIZABETH
WORSOP. His father was JOHN WOODS Sr. born in 1628 at Yorkshire,
England, and died in 1711 at Rosemeath, Westmeath, Ireland. His
mother was named ISABELLE BRUCE born in 1640 at Newtown,
Sterling, Scotland. Even farther back we find John Sr's father
RICHARD WOODS born in 1610 at Yorkshire, England. and finally we
find Richard's father MICHAEL DU BOIS (or) WOODS, born in 1585 in
Middlesex, London, England... We have to have this part of the
family history, because Jenny Lapsley and Maj. John Wolford's
second child, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, is our distant grandfather.
Any twist of fate wipes out all the future generations of
Wolfords on our linage. The first name in generation 3 is that
very John Milton Wolford who continues our ancestoral line...
Generation No. 3
MILTON WOLFORD (Maj.
JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was
born March 07, 1802 in KY, and died of Asthma March 23, 1874 in
KY. Burial: Wolford Cemetery, Russell County, Kentucky. He
married (1) EMILY JANE GRIDER May 15, 1823 in Adair Co., KY,
daughter of FREDERICK GRIDER. She was born November 13, 1802 in
Burke Co., North Carolina, and died February 15, 1853 in Russell
County, Kentucky. He married (2) CASINIA (SYNTHIA) MAY DARNELL
June 19, 1853 in Russell Co., Kentucky. John was noted as being
an intelligent man. Was a surveyor, school-teacher, sheriff and
jailer, justice of the peace, and most notably was a doctor. He
was Dr. John Milton Wolford, and many a young doctors studied
under this very busy man.
Children of JOHN MILTON WOLFORD and EMILY GRIDER are:
i.....JOHN WOLFORD, born October 26, 1824.
ii....JACOB R. WOLFORD, born in 1826.
iii...ELIZABETH "BETSY" JANE WOLFORD, born May 10, 1828.
iv...SARAH ELLEN WOLFORD, born in 1831.
v....JAMES L. WOLFORD, born in 1832.
vi...EMILY W. WOLFORD, born April 08, 1834.
vii..PRUDENCE ANN WOLFORD, born in 1836.
viii.MARY ERMINE WOLFORD, born in 1838.
ix...ELIZA E. WOLFORD, born in 1839.
x....WILLIAM CYRUS WOLFORD, born May 04, 1843.
xi...GEORGE MILTON WOLFORD, born October 08, 1846.
xii..MARGARET C. WOLFORD, born October 08, 1846.
Children of JOHN MILTON WOLFORD and CASINIA DARNELL are:
ii....JAMES RODRICK WOLFORD, born March 17, 1854.
iii...MARTHA ELLEN WOLFORD, born September 28, 1855.
vi...LOUVENIA WOLFORD, born April 01, 1857.
3. FRANKLIN LANE WOLFORD ( Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born September 02, 1817. in Columbia, Adair County, Kentucky. He died on August 02, 1895 and also is buried in Columbia. He first married NANCY DEVERS, on November 02, 1849, in Casey County, Kentucky, who died before the war between the states. He married his second wife ELIZABETH WINSTON BAILY, on April 06, 1865. He fathered eleven children mostly by Nancy. There is a lot of text written about Franklin Wolford. Two photo's show a contrast in his appearance, and even tho the picture on the right say's Gen'l Wolford. In reality he was a Colonel. Not only that he was a noted Colonel (First Kentucy Cavalry Regiment) in the Union Army, but his by run ins with President Lincoln. Although he fought for the Union, he had a forgiving feeling for the South. The saying was "He bled for the North, and pled for the South". He was outspoken on the treatment of the south after the war, and it got him in trouble with the President. It is written that he was dishonorably dismissed from the Army in the spring of 1864 for criticizing President Lincoln in a public address. The address was "that the government was being crucified between two thieves, the authorities at Richmond and at Washington City". He was arrested and then put on trial. The letters between them are a result of that arrest. I have copies of the letters between him and Lincoln. If you want a copy I can e-mail them. There was another side to Franklin Wolford. It should be noted that he had a deep love for his white haired mother, Mahala. He takes his middle name from her surname, Lane. Before the Civil War, he had established a reputation of being one of the best criminal lawyers in the Green River District of Kentucky.
3. ALBERT ALEXANDER WOLFORD ( Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born on April 22, 1823 in Liberty, Casey County, Kentucky, and died on July 24, 1897 in Casey County. Married MINERVA JANE MARCUM on June 20, 1865 in Pulaski, Kentucky. Minerva was born on December 06, 1842, and died on January 26, 1884. At this time only one child is known.
ALBERT ALEXANDER WOLFORD and MINERVA JANE MARCUM is:
i.....WILLIAM CLAIBORNE WOLFORD.
WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON
WOLFORD, Maj JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD),
was born October 26, 1824 in KY, and died May 19, 1903 in
Garland, Dallas Co., TX. Burial: Mills Cemetery in Garland,
Texas. He married (1) RUTHA JANE RIPPETOE December 30, 1844 in
Russell Co., KY. She was born Abt. 1830, and died May 27, 1847.
He married (2) MARY JANE EPPERSON March 23, 1848 in KY. She was
born November 28, 1827 in KY, and died November 27, 1898 in
Garland, Dallas Co., TX. Burial: Mills Cemetery, Garland, Texas.
The headstones are of John and Mary Epperson.
Child of JOHN WOLFORD and RUTHA RIPPETOE is:
i.....CHELSEY M. WOLFORD, born in 1845.
Children of JOHN WOLFORD and MARY EPPERSON are:
i.....WILEY RISDEN WOLFORD, born May 22, 1849.
ii....LARINDA ELLEN WOLFORD, born June 15, 1850.
iii...THURSA JANE WOLFORD, born in 1852.
iv...EMILIA J. WOLFORD, born in 1854.
vi...RUTHA E. (RUTH) WOLFORD, born July 09, 1856.
vii..SARAH E. WOLFORD, born in 1858.
viii.GEORGE W. WOLFORD, born in July 1860.
ix...MARTHA JANE WOLFORD, born August 16, 1861.
x....THOMAS M. WOLFORD, born in 1866
xi...EFFIE L. WOLFORD, born in 1868.
xii..MARY M. (MAGGIE?) WOLFORD, born in March 1870.
4. JACOB R. WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born in 1826 in KY, and died May 28, 1851. He married SARAH JANE RICHARDS.
Children of JACOB R. WOLFORD and SARAH JANE RICHARDS are:
i.....MARY JANE WOLFORD, born October 22, 1847.
ii....BARBERY ELLEN WOLFORD, born May 25, 1849.
4. ELIZABETH "BETSY" JANE WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born May 10, 1828 in KY, and died September 25, 1918 in Garland, Tx. She married JAMES BOYD May 19, 1849 in Russell Co., KY.
of ELIZABETH JANE WOLFORD and JAMES BOYD are:
ii....GEORGE WASHINGTON BOYD, married SARAH ELLEN CHRISTI.
iii...EUDORA ROSE BOYD, married WILLIS WHEAT MONROE.
iv...ARTEMISA BOYD, married JAMES PAGE.
v....FANNIE BOYD, married FRANK HISTON.
vi...SUSAN JANE BOYD, born March 09, 1850 in Kentucky.
Notes for ELIZABETH "BETSY" JANE WOLFORD:
She & James Boyd are on 1850 and 1860 Russell Co. Census. Susannah Boyd (b. abt. 1777 in Va) was living with them in 1860. Elizabeth Jane later married ? Jones. Elizabeth Jones is on 1910 Dallas Co, TX census with daughter Eudora Rose (Boyd) Monroe and son-in-law Willis Wheat Monroe. She is shown widowed with 10 children, 4 living. In bible records, she is 'Grandmother Jones". Obit. said she was survived by one sister, Mrs. Robert Hudson. Burial: Pleasant Valley Cemetery, Sache, Texas.
4. SARAH ELLEN WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born Abt. 1830 in Russell Co., KY, and died May 18, 1853 in Russell Co., KY. She married WILLIAM STAPP on June 26, 1851. William was born on February 15, 1831 in Russell Co, Kentucky, and died on November 12, 1901 in Adair County, Kentucky. He was the son of JOSEPH STAPP and HARRIET BLACK.
SARAH ELLEN WOLFORD and WILLIAM STAPP is:
i.....SARAH ELIZABETH STAPP, born May 27, 1852 in Kentucky.
4. EMILY W. WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born April 08, 1834 in KY, and died October 30, 1883 in Adair Co., KY. She married JOHN BLAIR September 06, 1856 in Russell Co., KY. Burial: Blair Cemetery, Adair County, Kentucky.
EMILY W. WOLFORD and JOHN BLAIR is:
i.....JAMES MONROE BLAIR, born in 1857.
4. PRUDENCE ANN WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born Abt. 1836 in Russell Co., KY, and died November 11, 1858 in Adair Co., KY. She married LOUIS J. ANTLE August 15, 1853, son of HENRY ANTLE and LETITIA MOORE. He was born June 03, 1832 in Adair Co., KY, and died October 19, 1875 in Russell County, Kentucky.
of PRUDENCE ANN WOLFORD and LOUIS J. ANTLE are:
i.....EMILY CAROLINE ANTLE, born in 1854 in Russell County KY. died on September 28, 1929. in Adair County, KY. married ARCHER COLLINS sometime in 1872. Archer was born October 18, 1851 and died December 31, 1925 in Adair County, Kentucky.
ii....PRUDY A. ANTLE, born November 12, 1858 in Adair Co, Kentucky.
4. MARY ERMINE WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born Abt. 1838, and died September 1879 in Russell Co., KY. She married SHANNON AKIN MANN. He was born November 1830, and died Abt. 1900.
Burial: Oliver Cemetery, Russell, Kentucky.
of MARY ERMINE WOLFORD and SHANNON AKIN MANN are:
i.....HATTIE M. MANN.
iii...CHARLES P. MANN, born in 1858, married NANCY JANE WRIGHT.
iv...JOHN LEVI MANN, born September 11, 1859, married SARAH GOODMAN.
v....WILL G. MANN, born in 1862.
vi...EMILY C. MANN, born in 1864, married JOHN MARKHAM, May 14, 1878.
vii..FRANKLIN W. MANN, born October 02, 1865, married Ms DICKERSON.
viii.MARTIN LUTHER MANN, born November 12, 1867, married Ms WRIGHT.
ix...IDA E. MANN, born in 1871, married TALLENT SIMPSON.
x....CLEMENTINE MANN, born in 1873, married Mr. HAY.
xi...LEONARD LESLIE MANN, born May 13, 1875, died June 26, 1954.
4. ELIZA E. WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born Abt. 1839. She married (1) JOE (JOSIAH) HUDSON. She married (2) WILLIAM LEVI CALHOUN November 11, 1862 in Russell Co., KY by Morgan Blair, MB Ch.. William was born in 1835.
of ELIZA E. WOLFORD and JOE HUDSON are:
v....NEWBY HUDSON, born June 20, 1880 in Russell Co. KY, died July 20, 1929. Burial, Hudson Cemetery. Note: unsure if Newby is a son, or grandson Eliza E. Wolford/Hudson/Calhoun.
of ELIZA E. WOLFORD and WILLIAM LEVI CALHOUN are:
ii....GEORGE M. CALHOUN, born in 1863 in Russell Co. Kentucky.
iii...CHARLES T. CALHOUN, born in 1865 in Russell Co. Kentucky.
iv...W. LEE CALHOUN, born in 1869 also in Russell Co. Kentucky.
v....QUINTILLA MAE CALHOUN, born July 20, 1871 in Russell Co. Kentucky.
CYRUS WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj.
JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was
born May 04, 1843 in Russell Co., KY, and died May 06, 1914 in
Casey Creek, Adair Co., KY.Burial: Roley Cemetery, Adair Co. KY.
He married MARTHA DARNELL November 13, 1860. She was born
February 06, 1840, and died April 17, 1911. William was a Sgt. in
Co. B, 13th Ky. Infantry. He
honors his father by naming his second son with his fathers name.
The photo's of Williams gravestone has been replaced with this
photo of himself sent to me by Joyce Cook ggranddaughter of
Martha (Mattie) Wolford.
Children of WILLIAM CYRUS WOLFORD and MARTHA DARNELL are
(MATTIE) WOLFORD, born August 16, 1861, died July 27, 1900.
ii....GEORGE LEVI WOLFORD, born November 16, 1865, died June 06, 1948.
iii...JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, born November 16, 1865, died in 1943.
iv...LAURA B. WOLFORD, born June 05, 1868, died December 03, 1953.
v....MARY ELLEN WOLFORD, born May 02, 1872, died May 05, 1948.
vi...LAUTOLIA "TOLEY" WOLFORD, born March 15, 1874, died April 14, 1944.
vii..IDA NORA WOLFORD, born December 25, 1876, died November 23, 1950.
viii.ADDIE ORA WOLFORD, born December 25, 1876, died February 27, 1958.
ix...ALTONA WOLFORD, born May 11, 1880, died December 26 1958, married EVERETT WHITE on June 13, 1902.
4. GEORGE MILTON WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born October 08, 1846 in Russell Co., KY, and died July 22, 1929. He married (1)LUVENIA RICHIE BLAIR on October 17, 1867 in Russell County, KY. She was the daughter of WILLIAM BLAIR and SERENA K. SLOAN. Luvenia was born on December 10, 1847, and died December 17, 1893. George married (2) CHARLOTTA WHITE. The 1850 Russell County, Kentucky census shows George Milton and his sister Margaret as children. The photo to the right is of George in his Civil War uniform of Company K, of the 13th Kentucky Cavalry. He served in the KY Cavalry at 17 years. He later became the jailer and Sheriff of Adair Co. When he was jailer, he was away from the jail and a prisoner escaped. His son, Felix Almon, (just a very young teenager) grabbed a rifle and gave chase. As the prisoner was going over a rail fence, Almon drew a bead and shot him in the leg, capturing him. There was a hearing about the matter and the lawyers were trying to mitigate the affair; they tried to lead Almon by saying; you were only trying to wing him weren't you? His reply was; " I was aiming right where his galluses crossed". George Milton hung the last two men hung in Adair Co. KY, in 1884.
Children of GEORGE MILTON WOLFORD and LUVENIA RICHIE BLAIR are:
i.....HELENA JOSEPHINE WOLFORD, b. in 1868 in Russell Co. Kentucky.
ii....FELIX ALMON WOLFORD, b. in June 1870, m. MATTIE GRIDER.
i.....TERESA BELLE WOLFORD, b. April 07, 1880.
iv...JUNIOUS OTIS WOLFORD, b. July 26, 1883, d. September 25, 1971.
GEORGE MILTON WOLFORD and CHARLOTTA WHITE is:
i.....BONNIE WOLFORD. Married JOE MORRIS.
4. MARGARET C. WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLDORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born October 08, 1846 in Russell Co., KY. She married M.D. RICHARD H. PERRYMAN October 03, 1865 in Russell Co., KY. Married at her father JOHN MILTON WOLFORD'S home. Witnesses: MONTGOMERY PERRYMAN and her brother WILLIAM CYRUS WOLFORD. Surety James M. Perryman. Margaret and Richard had 12 children.
RODRICK WOLFORD (JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj.
JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was
born March 17, 1854 in KY, and died 1910. He married (1) ISABELL
MERRILL. He married (2) SARAH ELIZABETH CONOVER. She was born
1858, and died 1938. Birth Record: Wolford Bible.
Children of JAMES RODRICK WOLFORD and SARAH ELIZABETH CONOVER are:
i.....MONTIE BELLE WOLFORD.
ii....MARY WOLFORD, married WILLIAM ROSS.
iii...LIZA MAY WOLFORD, married JAMES KING.
iv...MALCOM WOLFORD, born April 05, 1878, died in 1966.
v....NELLIE WOLFORD, born October 04, 1886, died November 28, 1961, married (1) LUTHER B. WHEAT, born in March of 1880 in Denmark, KY. Married (2) OLLIE BUCHANAN, married (3) BLANK MARTIN, married (4) RALPH C. GLOVER.
vi...RICH PAUL WOLFORD, born September 25, 1888, died March 31, 1969.
4. WILLIAM CLAIBORNE WOLFORD (ALBERT ALEXANDER WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born on April 10, 1866 in Kentucky, died on April 21, 1925 in Alma, Gratiot County Michigan. Married MARY ALICE RUSSELL. Mary was born on March 04, 1868 in Lincoln, Kentuck, and died on January 15, 1897 in Lincoln KY.
Generation No. 5
RISDEN WOLFORD (JOHN
WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN
WOLFORD) was born May 22, 1849 in Russell
Co., KY, and died July 09, 1935 in Mont Belview, Chambers Co.,
TX. He married MARTHA SYRILDA COULSON
October 04, 1874 in Dallas Co., TX by O. M. L. Parker, O.M.. She
was born December 20, 1858 in Wyetheville, Wyethe Co., VA, and died January 23,
1933 in Lewiston, Smith Co., TX. In this family photo you have,
back row left to right: Wiley Raymond, Walter Slathul, Robert
Eugene, Lemmie, and Charles Monroe. Middle row left to right:
Mollie, Linnie, and Ida. Front row left to right: John Thomas,
Martha Syrilda, Wiley Risden, and Arreta. You can make a copy of
this and other pictures in this site by right clicking on the
photo, and saving.
Children of WILEY RISDEN WOLFORD and MARTHA COULSON are:
i.....ARRETA WOLFORD, born August 1875.
ii....JOHN THOMAS WOLFORD, born March 1877.
iii...IDA MAY WOLFORD, born January 1879.
iv....ALMEDIA "MOLLIE" ELLEN WOLFORD, born 1880.
v.....CHARLES MONROE WOLFORD, born November 27, 1882.
vi....LEMMIE J. WOLFORD, born January 1891.
vii...LINNIE WOLFORD, born January 1891.
viii..ROBERT EUGENE WOLFORD, born March 1893.
ix....WALTER SLATHUL WOLFORD, born July 29, 1896.
x. WILEY RAYMOND WOLFORD, born July 13, 1904,
5. LARINDA ELLEN WOLFORD (JOHN WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born June 15, 1850 in Russell Co., KY, and died December 25, 1936 in Wylie, Collin Co., TX. Burial: Mills Cemetery, Garland, TX. (beside her parents). She married JOHN KINCHLOE THOMAS April 07, 1870 in Dallas Co., Texas, by T W Shelton, O.M.G., John is the son of THOMAS THOMAS and LOUICY ??. He was born 1836 in TN, and died October 04, 1918 in Davis, Murray Co., OK. Burial: Mills Cemetery, Garland, Texas. Larinda and John had 8 children.
5. THURSA JANE WOLFORD (JOHN WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born 1852 in KY, and died August 11, 1881 in Dallas Co., TX. She married ABRAHAM T. HUGHES December 22, 1870 in Dallas County, Texas by Elder E. S. Haynes, Abraham is son of ABRAHAM HUGHES and ESTHER REASOR. He was born 1847 in TN, and died in Dallas Co., TX.
of THURSA JANE WOLFORD and ABRAHAM T. HUGHES are:
i.....JOHN WILLIAM HUGHES, born in 1876 at Texas.
ii....SARAH ELIZABETH HUGHES, born in 1878 at Texas.
5. RUTHA E. "RUTH" WOLFORD (JOHN WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born July 09, 1856 in TX/KY ?, and died April 22, 1938 in Kaufman Co., TX. She married SALE RUPE March 22, 1874 in Dallas County, Texas, by H. T. Reynolds.
RUTHA E. WOLFORD AND SALE RUPE is:
i.....ORLENA RUPE, born July 03, 1875, died December 24, 1944 at Kaufman Co. TX. married Alonzo Theodore Lee Fair on March 03, 1892 at Garland, Texas.
5. SARAH ELIZABETH WOLFORD (JOHN WOLfORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD, was born in July 1858 in Texas, and died on May 31, 1917 in Wynnewood, Oklahoma, and is buried next to her husband in Cooper Creed County, Cemeterey, Denton, Denton County, Texas. She married JACKSON RINGER on October 26, 1879 in Dallas, Texas. This marriage produced ten children. All were born in Denton, Texas. Also one infant son that is buried next to them. This family record will continue with Martha Ringer in Generation 6.
of SARAH ELIZABETH WOLFORD and JACKSON RINGER are:
i.....MAUDE JANE RINGER, born July 30, 1882, died November 24, 1965,
ii....VIRGIL JACKSON RINGER, born May 18, 1885, died March 23, 1923.
iii...JAMES H. RINGER, born June 02, 1886, died June 15, 1967.
iv....GEORGE ESTER RINGER, born July 15, 1887, died August 28, 1976.
v.....JOHN P. RINGER, born March 26,1889, died July 1969..
vi....FLORENCE LEE RINGER, born March 03, 1891, died November 10, 1983.
vii...MARTHA IVA RINGER, born December 06, 1892, died January 08, 1963.
viii..WILLIAM HUBERT RINGER, born January 30, 1895, died January 29, 1972.
ix....DAVID BENJAMIN RINGER, born July 09, 1897, died June 12, 1939.
x.....H.A. RINGER (Infant son), born April 03, 1899, died April 12, 1899.
W. WOLFORD (JOHN WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON
WOLFORD, Maj.JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD)
was born July 1860 in TX. He married MOLLY B. ?.
Child of GEORGE W. WOLFORD and MOLLY ? is:
i.....BESSIE WOLFORD, born June 1893.
5. MARY JANE WOLFORD (JACOB R. WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born October 22, 1847 in Russell Co., KY, and died in Russell Co., KY. She married SHADRACK WOODSON "SHAKE" PHELPS April 13, 1871 in Russell Co., KY, son of WILLIAM PHELPS and MARTHA KERNS. He was born 1845 in Russell County, Kentucky.
MARY JANE WOLFORD and SHADRACK "SHAKE" PHELPS is:
i....CLARENCE LUCIEN PHELPS, b. January 07, 1881, Jamestown, KY; d. 1964; Attended Berea College, then Stanford U., Became President of a Normal School in Santa Barbara, California, which in 1944 became Univ. of California, Santa Barbara College, with him as its first Provost. Phelps Hall named for him. Info. from Santa Barbara Historical Soc., XLII, No. 2, Summer 1996, submitted by Annabelle Winfrey on her great-uncle.
5. MARTHA "MATTIE" WOLFORD (WILLIAM CYRUS WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born August 16, 1861, in Adair County Kentucky, and died July 27, 1900. She married ALBERT G. TOLBERT HUMPHRESS on September 12, 1882. The photo at right is of Martha as a young girl.
of MARTHA WOLFORD and TOLBERT HUMPHRESS are:
i.....WALTER O. HUMPHRESS, born in July of 1883. Married Alma, 3 children.
ii....ALBERT O. HUMPHRESS, born on May 21, 1885. Married Irene Mcleaster, 7 children.
iii...CAROLINE HUMPHRESS, born on October 08, 1887. Married Harvey Tucker, 6 children.
iv...WILLIAM C. HUMPHRESS, born on November 08, 1888. Married Anna P. Strake, 5 children.
v....LOU ELLA HUMPHRESS, born on October 13, 1890. Married William H. Greer, 4 children.
vi...BELLE HUMPHRESS, born on October 11, 1894. Married Homer Elmore, 3 children.
vii..JOHN EDGAR HUMMPHRESS, born on January 11, 1897. Married Anna L. Austin, 8 children.
viii.BESSIE LEE HUMPHRESS, born on July 30, 1899. Married John W. Wooldridge, 2 children.
5. GEORGE LEVI WOLFORD (WILLIAM CYRUS WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born November 16, 1865, and died June 06, 1948. He married MARY ELIZABETH TUCKER July 02, 1890. She was born February 18, 1866, and died February 08, 1931.
of GEORGE LEVI WOLFORD and MARY E.TUCKER are:
i.....MILBURN V. WOLFORD, born April 19, 1891.
ii....LORACY WOLFORD, born January 26, 1893.
iii...CARRIE WOLFORD, born December 20, 1894.
iv...JENNIE WOLFORD, born October 19, 1896.
v....GRACE WOLFORD, born May 16, 1900.
vi...WILLIAM ROBERT WOLFORD, born December 12, 1903.
vii..OWEN COY WOLFORD, born March 30, 1906.
MILTON WOLFORD (WILLIAM CYRUS WOLFORD, JOHN
MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD)
was born November 16, 1865, and died 1943. He married SALLIE
BEARD. She was born September 10, 1862, and died March 22, 1942.
He carries the same name as his grandfather.
Children of JOHN MILTON WOLFORD and SALLIE BEARD are:
ii....ARTHUR CLYDE WOLFORD, died Abt. 1960
v....LENA WOLFORD, born in1890.
vi...HAMPTON WOLFORD, born October 18, 1890.
vii..HERBIE WOLFORD, born March 23, 1900.
viii.BONNIE ETHELYN WOLFORD, born March 13, 1902.
5. LAURA B. WOLFORD (WILLIAM CYRUS WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born June 05, 1868, and died December 03, 1953. She married (1) CRUM CHELF. She married (2) E. Z. "DOC" FORD December 12, 1895.
5. MARY ELLEN WOLFORD (WILLIAM CYRUS WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born May 02, 1872 in KY, and died May 05, 1948 in Campbellsville, KY. She married HEZEKIAH FORD June 02, 1892, son of ISAAC FORD and HANNA LARD. He was born May 26, 1866 in Adair Co., KY, and died July 29, 1938 in Campbellsville, KY.
ORA WOLFORD (WILLIAM CYRUS WOLFORD, JOHN
MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD)
was born December 25, 1876, and died February 27, 1958. She
married ULYSSIS GRANT STAYTON March 07, 1896. He was born July
22, 1874, and died December 12, 1959.
5. JUNIOUS OTIS WOLFORD (GEORGE MILTON WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born on July 26, 1883 in Kentucky KY; died September 25, 1971. buried in Millerfields Cemetery, Adair County KY, son of George Milton Wolford and Luvenia Richie Blair. He married MAUDE HARMON on December 29, 1911. Maude was born on October 09, 1894, and died on December 18, 1961. She was the daughter of RICHARD HARMON and MOLLIE ERMINE BROCKMAN. She is also buried in Millerfields Cemetery, Adair County Kentucky. The photo at right is of J.O. and his older brother Almon.
Children of JUNIOUS OTIS WOLFORD and MAUDE HARMON are:
PAUL WOLFORD (JAMES RODRICK WOLFORD, JOHN
MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD)
was born September 25, 1888, and died March 31, 1969. He married
ETHA OLIVE SELBY May 13, 1906. She was born April 10, 1888, and
died November 12, 1963.
Children of RICH PAUL WOLFORD and ETHA OLIVE SELBY are:
i.....MONTIE CARLUS WOLFORD, born July 25, 1907.
ii....JAMES FOUNTAIN WOLFORD, born January 15, 1909.
iii...VIOLA VONTRESS WOLFORD, born April 19, 1911.
iv...ESSIE STEPHEN WOLFORD, born October 23, 1913.
v....WILLIE LEE WOLFORD, born January 20, 1917.
vi...JACK ROYCE WOLFORD, born April 12, 1923.
5. THERESA BELLE WOLFORD (GEORGE MILTON WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born on April 07, 1880. Married WILLIAM THOMAS SHEPHERD.
of THERESA BELLE WOLFORD and WILLIAM THOMAS SHEPHERD are:
i.....LILBURN WHITE SHEPHERD, born on July 24, 1898, died April 12, 1974. (go to Gen. 6)
ii....MABEL SHEPHERD, born on January 02, 1901.
iii...WILLIE BELLE SHEPHERD, born on March 16, 1903.
iv...OTIS BEVERLY SHEPHERD, born on May 28, 1906.
v....BERTRUM SHEPHERD, born on August 16, 1911.
5. BONNIE WOLFORD (GEORGE MILTON WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) Married JOE MORRIS.
of BONNIE WOLFORD and JOE MORRIS are:
ii....PEGGY MORRIS, Married a Mr. MATTINGLY
iii...JOE MORRIS Jr.
iv...JANET MORRIS, Married a Mr. DUNLAP.
5. SARAH ELIZABETH STAPP (SARAH ELLEN WOLFORD, JOHN MILTON WOLFORD, Maj. JOHN WOLFORD, JOHANN MARTIN WOLFORD) was born May 27, 1852 in Russell Co. Kentucky, and died on July 18, 1925 in Adair Co. Kentucky. She married WILLIAM HENRY CONOVER on February 20, 1868 in the home of her father, William Stapp of Adair Co. William Conover was the son of LEVI CONOVER and MARY CRAVENS, and was born on July17, 1842 in Adair Co. and died on April 11, 1922 in White Oak, Adair Co. Kentucky. Be it noted that William Henry Conover served in the 13th Kentucky Infantry, Company B, of the Union Army during the Civil War. Both he and Sarah are buried in the Conover Cemetery of Adair Co. Kentucky.
of SARAH ELIZABETH STAPP and WILLIAM HENRY CONOVER are:
i.....JAMES PATTERSON CONOVER, born October 09, 1869, died on February 04, 1938.
ii....MARY ELLEN CONOVER, born March 13, 1872 and died on February 20, 1936.
iii...URIAH CONOVER, born February 05, 1874 and died as a baby on February 16, 1874.
iv...LAURA ANN CONOVER, born April 28, 1875 and died on May 12, 1945.
v....IDA FRANCES CONOVER, born March 12, 1878 and died on May 10, 1969.
vi...LOU CORA CONOVER, born November 05, 1880 and died on May 13, 1971.
vii..SARAH EMMER CONOVER, born December 04, 1882 and died on April 23, 1936.
viii.EDWARD NELL CONOVER, born March 05, 1886 and died on May 19, 1966
ix...BENJAMIN HARRISON CONOVER, born April 18,1888, died on August 05, 1967. x....RUFORD ELMER CONOVER, born October 04, 1890 and died on March 14, 1969.
xi...FLORA ALICE CONOVER, born December 24, 1895 and died on July 19, 1987.
Note: Sarah and William Conover's children were all born and died in Adair County, Kentucky.
This Wolford file is also a large file. Generation No. 6 and the others will continue on the next page. Click on Forward or the Wolford's Continued link. The children of the above names will be listed there.
Home | Forward | Back | Our Family | Work History | More Family | Reid Descendants | Reid's Continued | Reid's Continued | Wolford Descendants | Wolford's Continued | Lee Descendants | Lee's Continued | Miley/Marbut | Phillips/Howard | Paternal Summary | Maternal Summary